Friday, March 23, 2012

Revamp An Old Clock with Decoupage

When my husband and I got married, I moved into the house that my husband and brother-in-law used to share, when they were both going to school in Dallas.  This was the clock that was up in the den (that has now become my crafting room).  I wasn't always crazy about the clock~ So with an OK from the husband, I decided to revamp their old clock.  Here's what I did!

Their plastic clock.  I have to say that the original silver paint worked out really well for this project,
because it gave the final product a nice metallic shine.  But you can use any ordinary clock!

Line the clock face with masking tape, so you don't get any decoupage glue on it.


I used Mod Podge, disposable sponge brushes, and tissue paper for this project.  

Apply a layer of Mod Podge to the first quadrant you will be working on.
Place the tissue paper (I used a square pattern) around the clock.
Add another layer of Mod Podge to the surface of that.
Be careful not to overwork a particular area with the glue, because it will tear the paper.
In order to make the tissue paper appear more distinctly,
I placed a couple layers of the same color of tissue paper per row.

Then, begin placing tissue paper on the next row, staggering the colors.
I used the same sequence of colors, but I didn't worry too much about the width of each square having to be the same.
I really think a little imperfection adds to the final product :o)
I think as long as there is a consistent element, it's okay to have other things to not be exact.

Remove the masking tape.
The final product!!!
There is no need to go out and buy a new clock, when you can revamp a clock you already have.
I was so excited with the clock's new look!


No comments:

Post a Comment