Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Egg Salad Brunch

Earlier in the week, I realized I had a dozen eggs nearing their expiration date (oops, I knew I shouldn't keep them in the back of the refrigerator).  So, I decided to boil them and then figure out what to do with them later.  I placed the eggs in a large pot of water (enough water to fill up to about 2 inches above the eggs), set the stove on high, added some salt, and waited for the water to boil.  As soon as the water began to really boil, I removed the pot from the heat, and reduced the heat to medium low, and allowed the eggs to simmer for about 1-2 minutes.  Then, I turned the heat off, poured out the water, and allowed the eggs to cool, before storing in the refrigerator.  

After much contemplation in what to do with the boiled eggs, going back and forth between deviled eggs and egg salad, I decided to go with egg salad.  I figured, why not make a meal out of them.  So Saturday morning, I peeled and chopped up the eggs.  The final count of eggs ended up being 8 eggs (my husband confessed to eating them for breakfast for the past few days, hehe).  Then, I chopped up about a 1/4 of a red onion ( I LOVE onions!).  Added about 1 tablespoon of mayonnaise, 2 tablespoons of Dijon spicy mustard, seasoned with salt and pepper and chili powder to taste.  Then, I added a tiny splash of lemon juice.  I mixed everything together and served it on toasted bread, romaine lettuce, and sliced cucumbers.  They were delicious.  And we had leftovers for another day.  My husband really enjoyed it, and I was happy a dozen eggs didn't go to waste!     


A bowl of fresh strawberries for dessert.

2 comments:

  1. YUM!!! That looks delicious!! I need to start pinning things from this incredible blog :):)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Lauren!! That means so much! :o)

    ReplyDelete